9.4.10

Happy Birthday.

Oy!

Now you're like "Who's birthday is it?!" and I'm like "duuuuh". Happy Birthday are a new band, who just recently got signed on the legendary Seattle label, Sub Pop (Band Of Horses, No Age, The Gutter Twins and Nirvana and Soundgarden in the grunge days, you know). Their debut album was released in March and it's an experience like few other. The case is - the REALLY trashy garage pop of Happy Birthday is so bad it's good. The voice is annoying, the recording is bad, the whole thing is kind of untight and the melodies aren't really that brilliant. Or at least, that's what you think after your first listen of this.

The thing is, that after a day or so, this shit STICKS TO YOUR BRAIN like few things I've heard before. This album is just so hugely charming in all its imperfectness that it makes you happy. Highly recommended for patient lovers of catchy music that doesn't reveal itself the first time(s) you listen to it. Here's everything I could find from these guys:

Happy Birthday - Girls FM
(This shit is GREAT. One of my favorite tunes off the album. That's some pretty good bad songwriting.)
Happy Birthday - Subliminal Message
Happy Birthday - 2 Shy
(This is just of Hypem since I'm imcompetent and lazy and can't find anything better. I just want you to hear this one since it's awesome and probably the best pop song here.)

Cheers!

Oh, by the way, I would have posted a photo of these guys but I couldn't find one where they looked smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment